Happy Wednesday Foodies! Well yesterday was quite the day, now wasn’t it? What am I talking about? I am talking about the EARTHQUAKE! Helloooooo?! I spent most of the day inside, so it was surprising that the moment the ground began to shake I was standing outside. I knew immediately what was happening and I looked over at Pippy to see his reaction. It figures that he was too preoccupied with grazing on all of the luscious grass than worried about the trembling beneath his paws.
The earthquake was incredible and such surprise. I know this is going to sound terrible, but I was not afraid. In fact, I was actually pretty excited. It was a fleeting excitement when my phone would not make any calls, which meant I could not get a hold of Nick or my mom.
Then it happened.
My mind took over. If any of you know me, you know that I am an analyzer, an over-analyzer at that and in those moments where I started to think about what if, I knew life was about to be crazy. Now the earthquake was not anything spectacular, but it was enough to knock things off of the shelves in my house and, if I was not too steady on my feet, the universe would have pushed me to the ground. When I could not get a hold of Nick and my mom I started to freak out. What happens if Quantico was under lock down? There was no doubt in my mind that EVERY government building on the eastern seaboard thought one thing – Terrorist Attack. Come on, I do not blame them. Nick is military turned federal government agent and he is based at Quantico – the epicenter of Marine stardom. I figured that it could go either way there – Quantico lockdown or freely evacuating the base.
When I saw my panda bear getting out of the car in his wrinkled suit I was beyond excited. Now, to get a hold of my mom is a completely different issue.
In the midst of all of this undefined chaos, all I could think about is food. Yes, FOOD. More specifically, the lack of dinner ideas I had. I came up with something that was super healthy, but I’ll blog about that later this week. Today I have for you another delicious breakfast sandwich. It is my healthy version of Eggs Benedict. Today I unveil to you Eggs Benedict with Ham and Cheesy Hollandaise Sauce.
Serving Size: 1 Eggs Benedict
Fat: 21.75 G
Carbohydrates: 27.5 G
Fiber: 6 G
Protein: 21 G
PointsPlus Value: 10
Here is what you will need:
- Ham, 1 ounce, cut with a cookie cutter
- Eggs, 2, separated
- English muffin
- Butter, 2 tablespoons, melted
- ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cheddar cheese powder
Directions for Hollandaise Sauce:
Separate the egg whites from the yolks, being careful not to break the yolks, separate each yolk into its own small bowl
- Now, let’s get to the sauce. Vigorously whisk the egg whites [yes, whites: I wanted to give it my own twist, remember] and lemon juice together in a stainless steel bowl and until the mixture is thickened and doubled in volume
- Place the bowl over a saucepan containing barely simmering water, the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl
- Continue to whisk rapidly
- Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble
- Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and 1 teaspoon of cheddar cheese powder and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume
- Remove from heat, whisk in cayenne and salt
- Cover and place in a warm spot until ready to use for the eggs benedict
Now for the other part:
- Toast an English Muffin
- Heat a small, greased skillet over medium heat
- Fry up a couple of pieces of deli ham [make sure you cookie cut it into a round circle to fit the English Muffins], once done set them aside
- Re-grease the pan & sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Gently add one yolk and allow it to fry; flipping once and setting it aside.
- Add the ham to each half of the English muffin and then add one cooked egg yolk to each half of a toasted English muffin
- Now, take out the Hollandaise sauce, whisk, taste & make sure all the seasonings are to your liking and drizzle the top of each English muffin half with enough Hollandaise sauce to suite your fancy
These little guys turned out so well!! I hope you all give them a try – they are perfect for any breakfast… any time of day. Even better?! They are fairly healthy! Nick was full with one whole English muffin and an entire pot of coffee, but that is another story.
I hope you all give these a try!
Until Next Time,
Happy Eating Breakfast any time of Day!