Happy Cinco De Mayo! Today is much more complicated this Thursday than any other Thursday that I can remember. I bet you’re wondering how this day could possibly be burdensome. It is, however, a day to drink Margaritas or enjoy a couple of shots of Tequila, right? Well, maybe in the United States it is a day for celebration, but I have to finish packing. It is not so much fun for somebody who does not drink often and is stressed enough for a brigade of soldiers. So today, to celebrate the 5th of May, I bring to you a very simple, yet incredibly flavorful, appetizer.
I love Mexican food. I love Mexican inspired food and I wanted to go over the top with my dishes this week. I was overly optimistic and naïve to believe I would have enough time to make enchiladas, chili rellenos, or some other incredibly flavorful Mexican-inspired dish. Instead I adapted an appetizer from a fellow foodie friend of mine. It turned out wonderful and it was incredibly simple. Yesterday I walked around the house eating Mini Taco Bites.
These were great and very easy to make. I have some food that I need to use up, ground beef, spices and cheese among those foods. Like I told my lovely Facebook Followers, I refuse to go out and purchase any foods, so I did not add any lettuce because I have none in my house. But these little Taco Bites can be done up just like a regular taco, just with less the mess. Awesome, huh?
Here is what you will need:
- Wonton Wrappers, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Ground Beef, cooked
- Jalapeno, fine dice
- ½ medium onion, fine dice
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 packet Hot Taco Seasoning
- 1 packet Reduced Sodium Taco
- 1 jar Taco Sauce
- 1 can Tomatoes with Green Chilies, diced
- Cheese, shredded
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium – high heat
- Add ground beef and cook thoroughly, about 10 minutes
- Drain the ground beef
- In the same frying pan add the vegetables and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes
- Once vegetables are cooked, add remaining ingredients [not the cheese], including the ground beef and let simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Lightly grease cupcake baking pan
- Quarter wonton wrappers, molding each piece into one of the cupcake holes
- Add a spoonful of seasoned taco beef to each of the wonton wrappers
- Sprinkle some cheese on the top
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes
- Remove and EAT!
These little guys are so addicting! In fact, I want to make another batch right now and eat another pan full. They were packed full of seasoned taco beef and cheese! I loved them!! They would be a great appetizer any time of the year!
I hope you all give these guys a try!
Until Next Time,
Happy Taco Makin’!