Good Saturday Morning everybody! I hope this finds you having a great start to the weekend! Nick and I finally have an apartment with all of our stuff in it! However, we did not have any time to unpack anything because we wanted to take this weekend to see our families in Pennsylvania. So we left the possible comfort of our new apartment to travel up North! It is all worth it because we have not seen our families for almost a year! I am the only child and my momma is my best friend so forfeiting our first weekend at our new apartment is well worth it to see her!
Since I am on the subject of my momma; growing up I never liked meatballs. I thought they were gross, but my mom loved them! She would periodically want a meatball sub. Like the good mom she was [and is] she would always offer me a bite and try to sell me on the great taste of it. I never accepted her offer or believed that the sub was good. However, around Christmas time I needed to prepare something for a party and it needed to feed a lot of people. I could hear my mom in my head telling me to give meatballs a try! So I did. And they turned out marvelous! I could not stop eating them! I did not want to give them up! Suddenly I was a meatball convert. Well I wanted to make something for dinner before we started our cross-country journey, but I needed something that did not require a lot of effort. Then it hit me, why not make meatball subs? In reality all you have to do is pay attention to them up front and then pop them into the crock pot for several hours to marinate in the sauce. So today I bring to you an Amazing Meatball Sub!
- 6 sub buns
- 1 1/2 small onion, grated
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground turkey meat
- 26 to 60 ounces Simple Tomato Sauce, fresh or store bought [you want enough to cover the meatballs in the crock pot]
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Add the onions, garlic, eggs, bread crumbs, ketchup, Parmesan, Pecorino, salt and pepper to a large bowl and blend
- Mix in the turkey
- Shape the turkey mixture into 1 1/4 inch diameter meatballs [this recipe yields a TON of meatballs!!!]
- Place on large [lightly greased] baking sheets
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked through
- Meanwhile, [if you want to make your own sauce]
- chop 1 small onion,
- 2 cloves garlic, minced,
- add sea salt and ground pepper to taste,
- 2 (32 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, blended/pureed
- 4 to 6 basil leaves and 2 dried bay leaves in the crock pot on low
- Add the meatballs to the sauce mixture and heat on low all day (6 to 8 hours)
- Remove bay leaves and season to taste
- About 10 minutes before you want to eat, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F
- On a lightly greased baking sheet, split the buns in half, slap on a few pieces of cheese and toast it for 10 minutes. Then add some meatballs and sauce to the buns and eat away! These little guys were amazing! Nick and I ate these guys so fast our heads were spinning! They are so simple to make and so simple to eat! I hope you all give these a try!!
I hope you all have a great weekend!
Until Next Time,
Happy Sub Makin’!