Today is the final day in soup week and I even impressed myself with this one! My mom, Nick and I really like the Zuppa Soup from Olive Garden. We have always wanted to take a jab at it, but the real challenge was how to recreate it and I have to admit I was kind of worried. However, I am excited to announce that it was MAGNIFICENT!! There are a ton of copycat recipes out there for the Zuppa Toscana Soup, but I found one that I liked the best and made some adjustments for my personal taste! That's the best part about recipes, you find a recipe that gives you the staples of the dish and then you adjust for your personal taste and make it yours!!! Lets get started!
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 1-lb Hot Italian Sausage, or just a bit more, cut into about 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups Kale, washed and roughly chopped
- pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet, saute the Italian sausage with the red pepper flakes. Drain fat and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, saute the bacon. When the bacon is cooked, add the garlic and onion powder. Saute the garlic until tender - just a few minutes
- Add the chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook until soft, about 30 to 40 minutes
- Add the heavy cream and the chopped sausage and cook until the soup is heated through, about 15 minutes
- Stir in the chopped kale. Season with pepper and serve hot!
|Source: Adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod|