Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at 10:58AM
We have talked about making a cheesy salsa dip for a couple of weeks and it finally came to fruition last night. It turned out pretty well. It is fairly easy to make and does not take too long either.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 can stewed tomatoes with juice
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic
- 3 whole fresh jalapeños
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 to 6 fresh Roma tomatoes
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 pound cheese, cubed [I used Velveeta]
- Puree stewed tomato juice, garlic, onion powder and jalapeños in a blender
- Chop Roma tomatoes, cilantro and stewed tomatoes
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, season with salt, pepper and lime juice
- Over a medium pot and over medium heat, combine milk and cheese stirring continuously to keep the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pot
- Once the cheese mixture is completely melted, add the salsa and stir together. Let simmer on low heat for 30 minutes to allow to thicken up.
- [If the salsa is not thick enough just add a tablespoon of corn starch and whisk continuously until no lumps are present/ if salsa is too thick add a little milk and whisk until desired consistency]
Now you can buy your own tortilla chips OR you can make your own. We made our own and it is super easy and so good!!
- 18 corn tortilla shells
- peanut oil
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F [takes about 15 o 20 minutes]
- Cut the corn tortillas in quarters
- Place the tortillas in small bunches into the oil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until they are browned/crisp enough to your liking
- place on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels, dab dry and sprinkle a little salt over chips [repeat until all chips are fried]
Nick and I love these chips; we both think it was one of our better ideas. Why not purchase some tortillas and make your own chips - they are cheaper that way and you can make as many or as little as you want!! It is so cool. You can use the cheesy salsa to dip your chips/fries in or you can pour it right over the chips as a nacho dish!! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!
Until next time, happy fryin'! :)