|quick pasta and garlic bread dinner|
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup raspberry or strawberry jam [though any jam would work wonders!!]
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs; add milk, butter and lemon peel. Pour into dry ingredients and stir just until moistened
- Spoon half of the batter into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Make a well in the center of each; add jam. Spoon remaining batter over jam.
- While the recipe does not call for it - next time I will likely put a small dollop on top of each muffin before baking to give a sweet little kiss to the top. Instead, I added some sugar for flavor.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden
The muffins turned out really well. Like I mentioned before, you could easily add another dollop of jam to the top of the batter before putting it in the oven [or halfway through the baking process] or you could even smear some peanut butter on the top of a warm muffin, it'll be a warm peanut butter and jelly sandwich in muffin form.
Until next time, happy baking!